DagDok - your guide to the UN documentation
DagDok is a guide to the UN documentation by the Dag Hammarskjöld and Law library, Uppsala University. Its purpose is to help you find UN reports and documents as well as background information about the UN organization as well as areas of UN activity.
Nobel Peace Prize 2020 to the World Food Programme.
On October 9, 2020 the World Food Programme was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.
Announcement by the Nobel Committee: https://www.nobelprize.org/
Secretary-General’s statement on the awarding of the 2020 Nobel Prize for Peace to the World Food Programme: https://www.un.org/sg/en/content/sg/statement/2020-10-09/secretary-general%E2%80%99s-statement-the-awarding-of-the-2020-nobel-prize-for-peace-the-world-food-programme
Executive Director of WFP’s statement: https://www.wfp.org/news/world-food-programme-awarded-nobel-peace-prize-statement-wfp-executive-director-david-beasley
UN News Centre story (multiple languages): https://news.un.org/en/story/2020/10/1075012
All the information and promotional materials found on the websites listed above has been provided by the United Nations and the Dag Hammarskjöld Library and are free to use. Always state source!
United Nations and the Nobels Peace Prize
October 9, 2020
We congratulate United Nations World Food Programme that was awarded the Nobel peace prize 2020, “for its efforts to combat hunger, for its contribution to bettering conditions for peace in conflict-affected areas and for acting as a driving force in efforts to prevent the use of hunger as a weapon of war and conflict”
The priority of the World Food Programme is the Sustainable Development Goal 2 – Zero Hunger – pledges to end hunger, achieve food security, improve nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture.
WFP - Press Briefing: Nobel Peace Prize Win (Geneva, 9 October 2020)
UN Nobel Peace Prize laureates through the years
UN News Centre
- UN ‘extremely concerned’ for safety of Tigray civilians in regional capital, as refugee numbers grow 2020-11-24
- ‘Real hope’ surrounding COVID vaccines ‘cannot be overstated’ – WHO chief 2020-11-23
- UN expert calls for urgent action to end ‘pandemic of femicide and violence against women’ 2020-11-23
- Afghanistan: UN’s Grandi and Bachelet put plea for lasting ceasefire top of their wishlist 2020-11-23
- Somalia at a crossroad, UN envoy urges ‘deepened’ political consensus 2020-11-23
UNRIC Info Point and Library
- Violations continuing against Belarus protesters, UN human rights office warns 2020-11-13
- Bosnia and Herzegovina: Some politicians still ignore ‘core European values’ 25 years after peace deal 2020-11-05
- UN brings Cyprus leaders together, mulling future talks on divided island 2020-11-04
- Belarus targets women human rights defenders after disputed August elections 2020-11-03
- UN chief condemns deadly attacks in Austrian capital Vienna 2020-11-03