Peace and security
A central part of the UN mandate as set out in the Charter is the maintenance of world peace. Over the years, the UN has played a major role in helping defuse international crises and in resolving protracted conflicts.
The world organization has undertaken complex operations involving peacekeeping operations, preventive diplomacy, peacebuilding and humanitarian assistance and in recent years has played a vital role in addressing some of the most prolonged and difficult conflicts.
Peace and Security by topic
More on UN and Peace and Security
- The website of UNA Sweden with information on Peace, Security and Disarmament
- Dag Hammarskjöld Library's (New York) research guide on Peace and Seucrity.
- Peace & Security. The UN website.
- Global Issues Overview. A website that offers an overview of global issues, and links to other resources for additional information.
Key UN documents
UN documents and publications in catalogues and databases
- United Nations Digital Library offers UN documents and open access publications, UN voting data and speeches, UN maps, Content in 6+ languages. Replaces the traditional online catalogue UNBISnet.
- UN iLibrary UN publications online covering different topics.
- ODS full-text UN documents published from 1993 onward and scanned documents published between 1946 and 1993 in the official languages of the UN.
- Daily list of documents (ODS). Documents published for the day, with full text links, can be found in the United Nations full text database ODS.
- Index to proceedings is an annual bibliographic guide to the proceedings and documentation of the major UN organs. The index includes:
- a list of all documents
- a comprehensive subject index
- an index to speeches
- a voting chart of resolutions
- United Nations Documents Index (United Nations Digital Library) References to all documents by subject area are published. A collection of indexes is held by the Dag Hammarskjöld and Law Library, Uppsala, and the Libraries at UN Headquarters in New York and Geneva.