The development of the situation in Iraq has been a matter of concern to the United Nations for a long time. After the Kuwait war in 1991, the Security Council decided to establish an inspection regime to search for weapons of mass destruction, including biological and chemical weapons, and to destroy any that were found. When Iraq refused to adhere to this, the Security Council unanimously adopted resolution S/RES/1441 (2002), which represented Iraq's final opportunity to comply with the disarmament requirement in accordance with previous resolutions. Force was not authorized by the resolution, but it recalls that the Council had repeatedly warned Iraq that it would face "serious consequences" as a result of continued violations.
The Iraq War was not sanctioned by the United Nations. Thus, the Coalition invasion began, on 20th March 2002 without the approval of the Security Council.
Security Council resolution S/RES/1546 (2004) endorsed the formation of an interim government and the holding of democratic elections In Iraq. It determined the status of the multinational force and its relationship with the Iraqi Government, as well as the role of the United Nations in the political transition.
More on UN and Iraq war
- News Focus: Iraq by UN News Centre offers background information and news, full text documents and reports. UN bodies involved in the reconstrution of Iraq is presented here.
- United Nations Iraq (UN Iraq). Information about UN in Iraq; documents, news, photos. Information about:
- UNMOVIC - United Nations Monitoring, Verification and Inspection Commission. Information about the weapons inspections in Iraq with full text reports.
- Department of Political Affairs, Iraq serves as a web portal to UN activities in Iraq.
- UNRIC Library Backgrounder: Iraq with relevant URLs within the UN system, such as UN documents, treaties, declarations, Secretary-General reports, a selection of speeches and statements by UN officials, articles in UN journals, etc.
- UN Pulse #iraq. Dag Hammarskjöld Library's (New York) blog.
Key UN documents
UN documents and publications in catalogues and databases
- United Nations Digital Library offers UN documents and open access publications, UN voting data and speeches, UN maps, Content in 6+ languages. Replaces the traditional online catalogue UNBISnet.
- UN iLibrary UN publications online covering different topics.
- ODS full-text UN documents published from 1993 onward and scanned documents published between 1946 and 1993 in the official languages of the UN.
- Daily list of documents (ODS). Documents published for the day, with full text links, can be found in the United Nations full text database ODS.
- UNBIS Thesaurus a multilingual database of the controlled vocabulary used to describe UN documents.
- Index to proceedings is an annual bibliographic guide to the proceedings and documentation of the major UN organs. The index includes:
- a list of all documents
- a comprehensive subject index
- an index to speeches
- a voting chart of resolutions
- United Nations Documents Index (United Nations Digital Library) References to all documents by subject area are published. A collection of indexes is held by the Dag Hammarskjöld and Law Library, Uppsala, and the Libraries at UN Headquarters in New York and Geneva.