In the aftermath of September 11, the United Nations has intensified its focus on terrorism.
The Security Council has adopted important resolutions aimed at prohibiting support to groups and individuals involved in terrorist activities and strengthening international engagement in the fight against terrorism.
Resolution 1373, adopted on September 28, 2001, calls upon all member states to criminalize assistance for terrorist activities and to counteract the financing of terrorists and terrorist organizations. The Counter Terrorism Committee was established to monitor the implementation of the resolution and to increase the ability of states to fight terrrorism.
The General Assembly continues its work negotiating international conventions to supplement earlier UN counterterrorism conventions.
For more information on the UN work against terrorism, see DagDok:
More on UN and terrorism
Documents and reports
- United Nations Action to Counter Terrorism. Information and key documents in fulltext, as well as:
- Secretary-General to Counter Terrorism, reports and speeches.
- General Assembly resolutions relevant to the global counter-terrorism strategy. General Assembly resolutions against terrorism.
- United Nations Treaty Collection. Search for UN conventions on terrorism.
Websites and research guides
- Counter-Terrorism Committee:
- background information
- full text statements
- documents and reports
- links to relevant UN bodies and organizations
- The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime and Terrorism Prevention. Information om arbetet med åtgärder på det juridiska området i kampen mot terrorism.
- Dag Hammarskjöld Library, Research Guide : Counter-Terrorism.
Key UN documents
UN documents and publications in catalogues and databases
- United Nations Digital Library offers UN documents and open access publications, UN voting data and speeches, UN maps, Content in 6+ languages. Replaces the traditional online catalogue UNBISnet.
- UN iLibrary UN publications online covering different topics.
- ODS full-text UN documents published from 1993 onward and scanned documents published between 1946 and 1993 in the official languages of the UN.
- Daily list of documents (ODS). Documents published for the day, with full text links, can be found in the United Nations full text database ODS.
- Index to proceedings is an annual bibliographic guide to the proceedings and documentation of the major UN organs. The index includes:
- a list of all documents
- a comprehensive subject index
- an index to speeches
- a voting chart of resolutions
- United Nations Documents Index (United Nations Digital Library) References to all documents by subject area are published. A collection of indexes is held by the Dag Hammarskjöld and Law Library, Uppsala, and the Libraries at UN Headquarters in New York and Geneva.