The promotion of social progress and an improved standard of living as a precondition for the maintenance of international peace and security constitutes one of the central purposes of the UN Charter.
Consequently, a vast majority of the United Nations' resources are devoted to raising the standards of living, promoting full employment and economic and social progress.
Sustainable development by topic
- Populations Issues
- Development Assistance to Children
- Development Cooperation
- Human Settlements
- Crime Prevention
- Family Issues
- Disabled Persons
- Trade and Development
- Food Aid
- Environment and Sustainable Development
- Drug Control
- Regional Economic Cooperation and Development
More on UN and sustainable development
- The web site of the ECOSOC provides background information and full text documentation.
- UN DESA promotes the social, economic and environmental dimensions of sustainable development.
- UNDP, Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, which includes a set of 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, fight inequality and injustice, and tackle climate change by 2030.
- Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) and Beyond 2015. A gateway to the UN System's work with the MDGs with background information on the Millennium Development Goals, reports and documents, news, statistics and links to UN bodies and programs.
- The World Bank Atlas of Sustainable Development Goals.
- For more information on economic and social questions, see DagDok : Economic and Social Council, UN Offices, Programs and Funds, Specialized Agencies.
Key UN documents
UN documents and publications in catalogues and databases
- United Nations Digital Library offers UN documents and open access publications, UN voting data and speeches, UN maps, Content in 6+ languages. Replaces the traditional online catalogue UNBISnet.
- UN iLibrary UN publications online covering different topics.
- ODS full-text UN documents published from 1993 onward and scanned documents published between 1946 and 1993 in the official languages of the UN.
- Daily list of documents (ODS). Documents published for the day, with full text links, can be found in the United Nations full text database ODS.
- Index to proceedings is an annual bibliographic guide to the proceedings and documentation of the major UN organs. The index includes:
- a list of all documents
- a comprehensive subject index
- an index to speeches
- a voting chart of resolutions
- United Nations Documents Index (United Nations Digital Library) References to all documents by subject area are published. A collection of indexes is held by the Dag Hammarskjöld and Law Library, Uppsala, and the Libraries at UN Headquarters in New York and Geneva.