Dag Hammarskjöld Library
The Dag Hammarskjöld Library (DHL) is the central library at UN Headquarters in New York. It serves as an information centre for delegates and UN officials as well as researchers and others with an interest in UN matters. It is the main library for the network of UN depositoriy libraries around the world.
The Dag Hammarskjöld Library (DHL) was dedicated in 1961 according to General Assembly resolution 1625 (XVI), A/RES/1625(XVI), to honour the late Secretary-General Dag Hammarskjöld. Hammarskjöld had actively worked for the creation of a central UN library.
More on Dag Hammarskjöld Library
The website of the Dag Hammarskjöld Library contains information about the library collections and catalogues, links to UN databases and information resources, research guides, web portals to UN and depository libraries, and an extensive biography on Dag Hammarskjöld.
- United Nations Research Guides. The Dag Hammarskjöld Library has compiled an overview over the most important UN documents and how they can be found
- UN Document Symbols. A tutorial for searches with document symbols.
Dag Hammarskjöld Library indexes all UN documents and issues biographies, indexes and information resources (see below).
UN documents and publications in catalogues and databases
- United Nations Digital Library offers UN documents and open access publications, UN voting data and speeches, UN maps, Content in 6+ languages. Replaces the traditional online catalogue UNBISnet.
- UN iLibrary UN publications online covering different topics.
- ODS full-text UN documents published from 1993 onward and scanned documents published between 1946 and 1993 in the official languages of the UN.
- Daily list of documents (ODS). Documents published for the day, with full text links, can be found in the United Nations full text database ODS.
- UNBIS Thesaurus a multilingual database of the controlled vocabulary used to describe UN documents.
- Index to proceedings is an annual bibliographic guide to the proceedings and documentation of the major UN organs. The index includes:
- a list of all documents
- a comprehensive subject index
- an index to speeches
- a voting chart of resolutions
- United Nations Documents Index (United Nations Digital Library) References to all documents by subject area are published. A collection of indexes is held by the Dag Hammarskjöld and Law Library, Uppsala, and the Libraries at UN Headquarters in New York and Geneva.
- All UN documents from 1993-.
- All resolutions of the Principal Organs from 1946-.
- All Security Council plenary documents from 1946- in English, French and Spanish.
- All supplements to the General Assembly Official Records (GAOR) from 1946-.
- All General Assembly plenary meeting records from 1946- in English, French and Spanish.
- Older documents are being scanned: status of digitization.