Dag Hammarskjöld Library
The Dag Hammarskjöld Library (DHL) is the central library at UN Headquarters in New York. It serves as an information centre for delegates and UN officials as well as researchers and others with an interest in UN matters. It is the main library for the network of UN depositoriy libraries around the world.
The Dag Hammarskjöld Library (DHL) was dedicated in 1961 according to General Assembly resolution 1625 (XVI), A/RES/1625(XVI), to honour the late Secretary-General Dag Hammarskjöld. Hammarskjöld had actively worked for the creation of a central UN library.
More on Dag Hammarskjöld Library
The website of the Dag Hammarskjöld Library contains information about the library collections and catalogues, links to UN databases and information resources, research guides, web portals to UN and depository libraries, and an extensive biography on Dag Hammarskjöld.
Dag Hammarskjöld Library indexes all UN documents and issues biographies, indexes and information resources:
- UNBISnet - United Nations Bibliographic Information System - is a catalogue of UN documents and publications indexed by the Dag Hammarskjöld Library and the UN Office at Geneva. It contains references to all UN documents from 1979 onwards with links to full texts for recent years in the official UN languages. Includes some non-UN sources. It also contains all resolutions from the General Assembly, the Security Council and the Economic and Social Council, as well as voting records and index to speeches. Subject search can be performed using relevant terms from the UNBIS THESAURUS.
- The Dag Hammarskjöld Library has compiled an overview over the most important UN documents and how they can be found: United Nations Research Guides.
- The Dag Hammarskjöld Library has also published a tutorial for searches with document symbols: UN Document Symbols.
- United Nations Documents Index (online version UNBISnet) is a printed index for all UN documents and publications. The documents are filed according to symbols, and subject, author and title indexes are included. It has been issued since 1950.
- Indexes to all meetings of the main organs are published as:
- Index to Proceedings of the General Assembly
- Index to Proceedings of the Security Council
- Index to Proceedings of the Economic and Social Council
- Index to Proceedings of the Trusteeship Council.
- For recent years Index to Proceedings is available online.
- UNBIS Thesaurus contains the authorized terminology for subject terms used in UN documents and materials. The multilingual thesaurus can be accessed online.
- United Nations Document Series Symbols, 1946-1996 is a detailed guide to the UN documents symbols.