World Food Programme (WFP) was established by the United Nations and the FAO in 1961. The goal is to eradicate hunger and malnutrition. The WFP is headquartered in Rome.
In order to combat hunger, the WFP
- provides food aid for emergency situations
- supports economic and social development
- functions as a coordinator of ;food aid.
The WFP is funded entirely by voluntary contributions from governments and some private corporations. The donations can be made either in cash, food or services.
WFP and the Sustainable Goals (SDGs)
The priority of the World Food Programme is Goal 2: Zero Hunger. Pledges to end hunger, achieve food security, improve nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture.
More on WFP
- The WFP website provides background information, news, full text documents and reports.
- WFP Annual reports.
- WFP submits an annual report to the ECOSOC in the documentary series Economic and Social Council Official Records. Supplement No. 16. It provides a summary of the WFP programme and activities with references to relevant documents and reports.
Key UN documents
UN documents and publications in catalogues and databases
- United Nations Digital Library offers UN documents and open access publications, UN voting data and speeches, UN maps, Content in 6+ languages. Replaces the traditional online catalogue UNBISnet.
- UN iLibrary UN publications online covering different topics.
- ODS full-text UN documents published from 1993 onward and scanned documents published between 1946 and 1993 in the official languages of the UN.
- Daily list of documents (ODS). Documents published for the day, with full text links, can be found in the United Nations full text database ODS.
- UNBIS Thesaurus a multilingual database of the controlled vocabulary used to describe UN documents.
- Index to proceedings is an annual bibliographic guide to the proceedings and documentation of the major UN organs. The index includes:
- a list of all documents
- a comprehensive subject index
- an index to speeches
- a voting chart of resolutions
- United Nations Documents Index (United Nations Digital Library) References to all documents by subject area are published. A collection of indexes is held by the Dag Hammarskjöld and Law Library, Uppsala, and the Libraries at UN Headquarters in New York and Geneva.
- All UN documents from 1993-.
- All resolutions of the Principal Organs from 1946-.
- All Security Council plenary documents from 1946- in English, French and Spanish.
- All supplements to the General Assembly Official Records (GAOR) from 1946-.
- All General Assembly plenary meeting records from 1946- in English, French and Spanish.
- Older documents are being scanned: status of digitization.